ANALYSIS July 27, 2010
There is no official Hindu position on same-sex marriage. Some Hindus condemn the practice of homosexuality, but others cite ancient Hindu texts, such as the Kama Sutra, that describe homosexual behavior.
- Hinduism Today, “Discussions on Dharma”
- Human Rights Campaign, “Stances of Faiths on GLBT Issues: Hinduism”
Islamic law forbids homosexuality, and the practice of homosexuality is a crime in many Islamic countries, including Iran and Saudi Arabia.
- Islamic Research Foundation International, “Same-Sex Marriage and Marriage in Islam”
- Religionfacts.com, “Homosexuality and Islam”
There is no universal Buddhist position on same-sex marriage. According to some interpretations of the Buddha’s teachings, one of the 10 non-virtuous deeds that lead to suffering is “sexual misconduct.” This term is generally understood to refer primarily to adultery. However, some Buddhists interpret the term to include homosexuality.
- The Buddhist Channel, “Religion and Same-Sex Marriage”
- Religionfacts.com, “Homosexuality and Buddhism”
The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops opposes same-sex marriage on the ground that “marriage is a faithful, exclusive and lifelong union between one man and one woman.” In 2003, the conference stated that “what are called ‘homosexual unions’ [cannot be given the status of marriage] because they do not express full human complementarity and because they are inherently nonprocreative.” And in 2006, the conference reaffirmed its previously stated support for a federal marriage amendment (a constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of a man and a woman).
- U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, “Bishops’ Administrative Committee Reaffirms Support For Federal Marriage Amendment” (2006)
- U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, “U.S. Catholic Bishops’ Administrative Committee Calls For Protection of Marriage” (2003)
- The Vatican, “Considerations Regarding Proposals To Give Legal Recognition to Unions Between Homosexual Persons” (2003)
- U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, For Your Marriage, “Same-Sex Unions”